Occasional thoughts on business process management, eprocurement, customer service, the dark art of sales and the creatures that inhabit these worlds.

Monday, March 13, 2006

True customer service

Much to the chagrin of my home life I was in London for 10 days in February and as a concession to my absence I though I would make a good impression by sending some surprise flowers on Valentines day. The joys on online commerce I thought as I selected a florist website, selected a bunch, filled in the details - and when I hit submit .... horror of horrers - the ultimate draed of the web-shop - a system crsh. So now what? Do I order again and hope they don't send two bunches? Do I let it be and hope they send a bunch? Hope is not a strategy.

In my interest to spend money locally I had cunningly selected a florist near my home in Sydney. It was 7.30am on Valentines Day - they must be up and at 'em. I phoned through and a very pleasant woman apologised profusely, assured me the order had not been placed and took all the details very efficiently over the phone.

What a result - a stunning bunch of flowers arrived, far more impressive than the modest arrangement I had chosen online, with a little side gift of heart shaped chocolates thrown in. Commendable care and unrequested compensation for my poor user experience with the website. Went down a treat on the home front as well

Now that is customer service. Need some flowers? Use the Crows Nest Florist - but don't order online!

No comments: